what to do when evacuating for a hurricane
Starting my Whole30 during hurricane season might non have been the best idea. When I committed to starting the program on September 1, I knew there was the potential for a hurricane to come up my way. But afterward 12 years of existence spared past hurricanes I didn't recall too much about it. That is, until Hurricane Irma turned her sights on Southward Florida.
What does i eat that doesn't have to be cooked, that tin concluding without refrigeration and is Whole30-compliant? How much beef jerky and Rx bars tin one person eat? I should say that my original plan was to cook a bunch of Whole30-compliant food and keep it in the refrigerator until we lost ability and so put it in a cooler with ice and and so heat information technology on a propane camp stove. What I didn't anticipate was evacuating to a hotel, half mode beyond the state.
I packed up my beefiness hasty, Rx bars, pistachios and some other Whole30 food – all of which were basically snacks and I couldn't make a real meal out of anything. The skilful thing was there would exist restaurants and I could even so make the plan work every bit long as I stuck to the rules when ordering. I had organized religion that I could practice this. Afterwards all, the hurricane wasn't heading where we were going and I would be able to spend a few days in the hotel, monitor what I was eating and everything would exist great.
The thing about hurricanes is that they are unpredictable. As much as meteorologists try to forecast the path of a hurricane, the truth is, they can't. When we evacuated, the hurricane was heading towards the east coast of Florida – directly towards my home. A few days afterward, the hurricane shifted west and it was now heading to the place where I had evacuated. My great plan was not so great anymore.
The day before the hurricane was expected to hit, I scurried out to observe whatever kind of food supplies to have in our hotel room. The Whole30-compliant choices at the CVS (the merely store open) were express. I found some Ballsy jerky, enough of nuts (sans peanuts), a few Rx bars and then I was onto the Drake'southward coffee cakes, canned fruit and some other food that I've chosen to cake out. I was drastic though, then I took what I could get. The restaurants had all closed and all nosotros had in the room was bread, peanut butter (not compliant), jelly and some craven salad.
Hurricane Irma hit just afterward midnight and for 3 1/2 hours she howled outside the hotel window. Fortunately the hotel didn't lose power during or afterward the hurricane. Although we had a hot breakfast at the hotel, no stores or restaurants were open up. For two days I ate what we had in the room and my Whole30 kind of went out the window. When we made it dwelling house, there was no power, but we had the campsite stove so I was able to go back on my the program.
For the about part, I was able to stay compliant through the residue of September. I say for the most function considering there were a few times that I fell off the wagon (which I documented on Instagram). I had ice foam a couple of times, a few glasses of wine and then there were the gluten items I ate out of agony and hunger.
Here's what I learned over the last 30 days and what I'll keep doing after my Whole30 ends this night.
- Coffee without saccharide isn't and then bad. Once I got used to it I realized that I didn't miss the sweet of sugar and that's not really why I was drinking coffee anyway. Coffee is a must for me in the morning, and I'g actually a bit of a bear without it. So I was glad I could adapt to the no saccharide version and I will proceed it going forward.
- Non-dairy creamer is OK if you lot detect the right 1. While I could remove the sugar from my java at that place was no way I was going to drink black coffee. Yuck! I first tried nutpods in the unsweetened original version. I liked it, but something felt like it was missing. The other day I plant a non-diary creamer from Rich's in the frozen section at my grocery store. This not-dairy creamer was thick and flossy and made the coffee gustatory modality smoother. I don't know if that makes sense, just this will be my new go-to for my coffee. I will still use nutpods and will probably try some of the other flavors, but Rich'due south was more than like milk/creamer. Disclaimer: in the beginning I did stick with whole milk and totally broke the non-dairy rule.
- Water ice foam doesn't like me anymore. In that location were a couple of times that I had ice cream. Yes, I could accept gotten non-dairy ice cream, simply that would have been a SWYPO (sexual activity with your pants on) moment and I figured if I'm going to break the rule, why not go whole-hog. What I discovered, though, is that my stomach gets a little upset when I eat ice cream. Mayhap I'yard a chip lactose-intolerant or maybe I just ate also much ice foam. Not sure, but I will observe this farther during my reintroduction period and make up one's mind if it should be office of my food liberty.
- Cooking ain't so bad. I'm not much of a cook. In fact, I usually make things over and again considering I know I'll take success. Frequently when I try a new recipe, information technology commonly turns into some kind of disaster. And then, knowing that I was going to have to cook and exist diligent about ingredients was a little scary. Nigh of the things I tried turned out well and I institute a few recipes that I will continue to make considering they are just then darn tasty. Honestly, the Whole30 cookbook will probably exist my standard from now on.
- I don't like vegetables. This is something that I've always said. I feel like vegetables are a waste of chewing. Yeah, they're good for you, but normally they don't taste like annihilation and are a snore-fest. Well, I take to revise this opinion. Over the terminal calendar month I take eaten more vegetables than I had eaten in the previous three months. I can say that I do like virtually vegetables as long as you make them interesting. Veggies are a keeper for the future.
- I want my wine. I did discover that wine is an inflammatory nutrient for me. On the few times that I did accept a glass (or two), I generally didn't experience keen afterwards. I felt puffy and swollen. Yep, this is a sign that it's an inflammatory food for me, simply I will proceed to drink information technology. I don't drink a lot – possibly a few times a month – so it'southward not something that I volition take to deal with on a daily basis, only I've chosen that information technology volition be part of my food freedom, at to the lowest degree until I can detect something just every bit good to replace information technology. Bourbon? Scotch? Mayhap.
I didn't expect my showtime Whole30 to go perfectly and that I would be 100% compliant, but I really wanted to endeavor. Aye, I fell off the wagon a few times, just I got back up, dusted myself off and got back on the plan. All in all I call up information technology was successful and not as desperate equally I originally idea. The past thirty days showed me that yous don't have to be perfect to exist successful, you just accept to keep trying. In the end, I lost a few pounds and my stomach feels great (except for the ice cream and wine). To me, this is a win-win situation!
Source: https://pinkjacketdiary.wordpress.com/2017/09/30/what-a-hurricane-evacuating-no-power-and-life-will-do-to-a-whole30/
Post a Comment for "what to do when evacuating for a hurricane"