Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Studies on Arts and Achievement in Underserved Youth 2018

Welcome back, everyone!  In the Autumn Quarter issue of Masterly Musings,nosotros'll introduce our new MAIS students for the 2018-2019 bookish year.  Our current students have also been busy over the summertime break, and we'll hear from two that attended conferences.  We as well have a new MAIS Steering Committee Student Representative; who could information technology be? Please continue reading for more!

New Students for 2018-2019

Delight welcome our 2018 MAIS Accomplice for Autumn 2018!  They are a terrific grouping of students, and we're excited that they've joined us to further their educational goals.

Emmiyan Ferro

Available of Arts in Psychology; Bachelor of Arts in Ethnic, Gender and Labor Studies (double major), cum laude, Baronial 2018.  First generation college graduate.

Current focus: Latinos studies.

Kelsey Horne

"I am a 2010 Pacific Lutheran University alumna with degrees in 'Responses to International Violence and Disharmonize Direction' and 'Public Relations' and a minor in Spanish. I am originally from Alaska but have institute my home in Washington where my husband and I explore the mountains and ocean. I've worked in the non-profit sector since graduation and have institute a passion for working with underserved and underrepresented youth. I am excited to join the MAIS squad and promise it allows me to garner the skills, noesis, and foundation necessary to create positive modify in our region."

Amy Klippert

Amy Klippert has worked in the not-profit sector for the last eight years and is thrilled to learn more about systems, all-time practices, and much more in the MAIS plan. A native of Houston, TX, she attended Southern Nazarene University in Bethany, OK for her undergrad and moved to Tacoma a few years after graduating. The majority of her professional feel has been spent working with youth and children's programs with a focus on coming together bones needs. She is passionate almost social justice and currently sits equally Chair of the Tacoma Coalition to Finish Youth Homelessness. In her free time, she likes to spend quality time with friends, abound her urban jungle, obsess over her cats (Spike and Linus), and play music with her husband.

Ryan Moriarty

"My name is Ryan Moriarty. I attended the Academy of Montevallo in Alabama where I got my undergraduate caste in Mass Communication: Dissemination with minors in Biology and Deaf Studies. I moved out to Washington two years ago and have come to love Tacoma and the Northwest! I currently work at UW Tacoma as the photographer and videographer for the marketing department and also spend time volunteering at the Giving Garden on campus. I will be pursuing a MAIS graduate caste forth the Not-Profit Management runway and am excited to get started! I hope to learn more about empowering non-profits and those who work with them with a focus on housing, transportation, education, and nutrient justice."

Christopher Oliver

"My name is Christopher Oliver, and I received my BA in Indigenous, Gender and Labor Studies from the University of Washington Tacoma. My focus for the MAIS program is to investigate the reasons why troubled inner city youth find themselves as members of gangs, and to explore the similarities and differences in the ways that ethnicity and gender may play a role in gang membership. The goal is to observe positive ways to provide these children with life choices other than those offered through gang membership and to find other options that prevent them from selecting this form of life."

Sharon Rivera

"I earned my B.S. in chemistry from SUNY Buy College in New York in 2003 and my Ph.D. in physical chemistry from Syracuse Academy in 2008. Afterward a NSF postdoctoral fellowship in Sydney, Australia at the Academy of New S Wales in materials science, I shifted scientific focus to work at Columbia University researching the cancer niche, hematopoietic stem cells and acute myeloid leukemia. I have taught chemistry at universities and customs colleges, written scientific and educational grants, and designed and managed Stem education programs. Currently, I am the Mathematics, Technology, Science Accomplishment (MESA) Program Managing director at Tacoma Community College in Tacoma, Washington.

My passion is advocating for diverseness, inclusion, opportunity and access in scientific discipline and educational activity, and changing the focus and dialogue that often surrounds underrepresented and underserved students in the STEM field. My current academic interests include STEM didactics, policy, language and student success. I am super excited to come across how all these pieces work together, acquire about topics I never imagined I would pursue and grow with all of you!"

Nora White

Nora grew upwardly in Tenino, WA and has been farming in ane way or some other with her family since 2001. She attended Warren Wilson Higher in Asheville, NC for her undergraduate caste in Sociology/Anthropology and Traditional American Music and made her way back to the PNW two years ago. Currently, she works for the Thurston Conservation District as an Educational activity & Outreach Specialist profitable landowners in managing their property for the benefit of working lands and a healthy natural ecosystem. In addition, she continues to work on her family'south subcontract, Hercules Farm, growing pasture raised turkeys, wool, and lamb. In her studies in the MAIS program Nora is excited to weave her professional person and personal lives together to study food – from growing to eating – equally a tool for community growth, advice, and prosperity.

Current Student News

Students on the Move

Rachael Williamson (right) at the Performing the World Briefing

Rachael Williamson, who is about to stop her master's thesis, recently traveled to New York City to present her research at the 2018 Performing the World Conference.  Her Research Advisor, Tony Perone,  had this to say about Rachael and her trip:

For near xv years, I have been a builder of the international performance movement. 1 of the highlights of building the movement has been to organize, nourish, and nowadays at the biennial event, Performing the Globe (PTW), held in New York City. This event, co-convened by the Eastward Side Institute (where I serve equally one of its assembly) and the All Stars Project, is an enriching and powerful opportunity for hundreds of play and performance activists, academics, therapists, community organizers, and artists from all over the world to come together and share/support/develop the activities that we are doing to co-create life-span human evolution and social and community transformation via play and performance. While our 2018 gathering was amazing overall, iii activities stand out for me. Kickoff, along with fellow play and functioning activists from Canada, Costa Rica, and the United states, I facilitated a workshop called "Clowning and Caring: Bring together the Love/Play Revolution" that was based on our ethnographic scholarship with and customs engagement every bit humanitarian clowns. 2d, I promoted my new book co-edited with Carrie Lobman: Big Ideas and Revolutionary Action: Selected Talks, Essays, and Articles by Lois Holzman (on Amazon, East Side Establish). To shut, I was and so honored to share and create PTW 2018 with electric current MAIS student Rachael Williamson. Rachael presented a fabulously revolutionary workshop "Diagnosis: Performing Our Manner Out of the Box" based on her MAIS thesis and work as a Registered Beliefs Technician.

Rachael with her Research Advisor, Dr. Tony Perone

Rachael revels more than near her experience at the briefing:

In September, I had the opportunity to travel to New York and present my research on play and performance teaching at the 2018 Performing the Globe Conference. Information technology was hands downward i of the most exhilarating briefing I have ever been to. The connection, collaboration, inclusion, and 18-carat caring put forth by everyone I came in to contact with is something unlike I have ever experienced. The workshops, and performances brought me to tears on more than one occasion. It was so deeply moving to witness so many different people from all effectually the earth embracing play and performance as powerful pedagogical tools—tools that take the ability to transform and revolutionize communities, cultures, industry, medicine, teaching, and everything in between.

During my presentation, I used the opportunity to interact/build with my current research, and the results were nothing brusk of magical. And then many fantastic ideas on how to utilize play and performance within the neurodiverse community and how I might alter my electric current practices to be even more than inclusive and developmental. Information technology was such an honor to have and so many passionate attendees offer their insights and wonders. It was by far the most engaging and enjoying presentation I have always done. The fact that we spent near of the session playing/performing how learning can lead evolution (which interestingly enough is accomplished through play and operation) was such a joy to behold. I'm however buzzing from the experience.

Out of all the workshops I attended, my favorite was ane put on past our very own Dr. Perone on humanitarian clowning. After a short and deeply inspirational opening, nosotros were encouraged to put on clown noses and wander the streets of Midtown clowning around with the locals and spreading a bit of cheer/dearest. I hugged three strangers, got several loftier fives, numerous confused/terrified looks, and watched Patch Adams moon the police station. I'1000 not sure an afternoon in NY City can get much better than that. I made amazing connections, met many new friends, and clowned around in ways that have forever changed who I am. If you would similar to know more about this amazing briefing, feel free to email me at rutilant@uw.edu for more information. The next Performing the Globe takes place in 2020 and nosotros'd love to see yous in that location!

Alyssa Urish also attended the National Race and Pedagogy Conference  September 27-29th, which was held at the University of Puget Sound here in Tacoma.

Alyssa Urish and friends equally the National Race and Educational activity Conference in September 2018

In this project I aim to sympathize the consequences of desegregation policies in Tacoma Public Schools when they first were implemented and in present twenty-four hours, through a two role-study. First, I will be applying a CRT lens to a historical analysis of educational policies and programs passed in Tacoma betwixt 1960 and the mid-1990s. 2nd, I will be implementing a youth participatory activity enquiry (YPAR) project with iv-7 youth of color, with whom I have worked in my capacities as community eye program managing director at one of the start desegregated schools in Tacoma. My projection will be aimed at addressing two questions: "What does a critical race lens tell u.s.a. about Tacoma's desegregation program from the early 1960s until the mid-1990s?" And, "How does the history of the district's desegregation connect to the reality for today's youth of color?" This research aims to center students' experiences and use a youth participatory action approach to support students' to build knowledge, a collective agreement and to take action that they define. The SCRA mini-grant fund will permit me to pursue a more equitable approach towards the third goal of this study past offering a stipend to student participant-researchers and providing a supportive infinite for our research offering supplies, nourishment and transportation assistance to our meetings.

The SCRA Community Mini-Grants Program was designed past the Community Psychology Practise Council in 2010. With the support of the Executive Commission, the grant plan began awarding funds in the summer of 2011.

The purpose of this program is to support and aid catalyze small-scale scale, time-sensitive customs interventions, whether action or inquiry-based, which are consequent with the SCRA vision, mission, principles and goals. The grant plan is intended to encourage meaningful work that SCRA members (and their customs partners) are doing in their communities around the world. It is a fast determination-bike mini-grant program.

Closer to Dwelling

In i of our closest elections for Pupil Representative to the MAIS Steering Commission, Shadyar Omrani was this year's elected candidate.  She volition exist one of two students that serve on the Steering Committee, and will serve a 2-yr term.  Congratulations to Shadyar, nosotros know she will brand fabulous contributions to the Steering Committee and the MAIS program!

nashaulty1996.blogspot.com

Source: https://blogs.uw.edu/maias/2018/11/27/autumn-2018/

Post a Comment for "Studies on Arts and Achievement in Underserved Youth 2018"